If you have an existing scholarship account login
Willmar Civic Scholarship Association - Dorothy Brown Scholars Fund*
Brown, a longtime Willmar elementary teacher of 25 years, believed in the
capabilities of children and all the potential opportunities they could create.
As an educator, Dorothy, touched and changed the lives of countless young
people. She illustrated that teaching is more than educating others – it’s a
profession of the heart. Dorothy wanted to share the passion of education and
provide ripple effect opportunities for future local educators.
- Current High School Senior
- From: Willmar Public Schools (Willmar Senior High or Alternative Learning Center)
- GPA: 2.5 or better
- Planning to attend: Two or four year post-secondary institution (full-time enrollment)
- Major: Elementary Education
- Preference given to students attending Minnesota colleges and/or universities, and students with demonstrated need for scholarship support as indicated in their application responses
- Available Scholarships: 2 - $10,000 Scholarship (paid over 4 years)
- Scholarship Application Deadline: March 1
- Scholarship Application Process: Online applications only
- Renewable: Each year a transcript will be required showing progress toward Elementary Education Major.
Items needed to complete the online application:
- General Questions
- Essay: 2 pages double spaced, please answer both question within your essay.
- Essay Question: Why do you want to be a teacher? What is the biggest challenge or struggle you have faced in your own education and how will you use that as a teacher?
- Statement of Financial Need: Tell us your needs to make your education dream a reality; include financial, family and personal implications for pursuing a degree and future as an educator.
- List of Activities for the following categories:
- Community Service/ Volunteer/Church/Family: activities NOT related to school, including volunteerism
- Extra-Curricular School Activities: school based programs, such as sports, drama and clubs that happen outside of normal school class hours
- Work Experience: Include years involved and areas of leadership/ participation.
- Letters of Recommendation:
- 2 letters will be required in digital format (PDF)
- At least 1 letter of recommendation must be from a Willmar Public Schools teacher
- Electronic Transcript: High School Students - Provide Guidance Counselor's (GC) e-mail address. GC will be asked to upload your official transcript.
Other Notes: Disbursement schedule will be as follows:
- Years 1 & 2: $1,500 each year with proof of enrollment and satisfactory progress
- Year 3: $3,000 after proof of admission to Elementary Education program
- Year 4: $4,000 after proof of admission in Elementary Education program with graduation date
Notification and Claim Process:
- The scholarship recipients will be notified at Willmar High School Cap and Gown Ceremony in May.
- Signed scholarship agreement and verification of full time enrollment from the college/university will be required in June.
- Scholarships are paid directly to the student's account.
CLICK HERE TO BEGIN THE APPLICATION PROCESS