If you have an existing scholarship account login
Evelyn Lenander Education Scholarship*
In February 1989, Evelyn Lenander from Buffalo Lake, Minnesota established a fund to provide scholarships for college students majoring in elementary education. Evelyn was born in Renville County. She attended St. Cloud Teachers College and graduated with a two-year teaching degree in 1929. She and her husband farmed and Evelyn continued to teach. Evelyn Lenander was much loved and respected by her students during her 39-year career as an elementary education teacher. “I didn’t have children of my own. I had community children,” she said. Supporting students interested in pursuing elementary education career was important to Evelyn because, “You can’t be a good teacher by saying you want to be. A good teacher knows the basics and isn’t afraid to love the students.”
- College Student
- From: Attending a Minnesota College or University going into their 3rd or 4th year and have graduated from a MN high school.
- Major: Elementary Education.
- GPA: 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. Recipients must have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Completed 2 full years of college and accepted in a Minnesota College/University program leading to an elementary education degree.
- Preference will be given to permanent MN residents living within a 25 miles radius of Buffalo Lake and then eligibility will be expanded to include other students from Central Minnesota.
- Planning to attend: 3-4th year of college
Available Scholarships: Amounts vary from $1,000 - $4,500 Scholarships
Scholarship Application Deadline: March 1
Scholarship Application Process: Online applications only.
Items you will need to complete the application:
- Application General Questions
- Essay: 2 page double spaced: What event or person has influenced your life the most? Share how and why this is important to the person you are becoming?
- Statement of Need and Responsibility: Briefly share a personal, life, or family circumstance affecting your need for this scholarship.
- List of Activities for: 1) Community Service i.e. civic and church volunteer activities 2) Extracurricular School Activities i.e. school activities that are not graded 3) Work Experience
- Letters of Recommendation: 2 letters of recommendation are required. Recommendation need to be from non-family members. Letters will need to be in PDF format.
- Electronic Transcript: College Students:Must obtain a transcript from the college registrar office and upload as a PDF.Unofficial transcripts are acceptable if they are from the registrar’s office.
Other Notes: None
Dates to Remember:
- May:Recipients will be notified via email in early May.
- June 15:Recipients must sign their scholarship agreement and provide college information. CommunityGiving will verify that you are enrolled as a full-time student at the college.(Full-time enrollment is typically 12-16 credits)
- June: Inform your college that you have received the scholarship.
- September 1:First payment of 50% will arrive at your college.
- January 10: Second payment of 50% will arrive at your college.