The Shirley Torrey Nursing Scholarship
The Torrey Nursing Scholarship Fund was created in honor of Shirley Torrey, a 1958 registered nurse graduate of the Northwestern Hospital School of Nursing in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The purpose of the fund is to assist and encourage Junior, Senior and 5th year post secondary students pursuing a career in nursing.
The Shirley Torrey Nursing Scholarship Fund St. Cloud State University, St. Cloud Is offering 2- $2,000 scholarships for third or fourth year students pursuing a four - year degree in nursing. College of St. Benedict, St. Joseph Is offering 2- $2,500 scholarship for third or fourth- year students pursuing a four-year degree in nursing.
Applicants are responsible for submitting a complete application by March 1st.
A complete application consists of:
- A completed application form, including the portion completed by the financial aid office.
- An essay/statement (not to exceed one typewritten, double spaced page) describing your career and educational goals. Previous recipients who are reapplying should submit achievements made toward meeting previous goals. This essay/statement is very important in the selection process.
- A listing of applicant’s participation in community service, school extra-curricular activities and work experience for the last four years.
- Two letters of reference addressing the applicant's strengths and weaknesses.
- If applicable, a description of personal or financial difficulties.
- A current transcript.